Tuesday 18 November 2014

Guest Blog No: 4 - Bob Woods - A Letter from The Lyng.

I am delighted to welcome Bob Woods back to this blog particularly as he is a "man of the left" and provides some political balance to my own witterings. Please fell free to contact me if you fancy writing here on a Sandwell-related theme - political or otherwise - and, as you will see from what follows, you don't have to share my views!

L-R Mo Taj (Pres. TUC); the late Bob Crow and Bob Woods
FEAR AND LOATHING IN SANDWELL - A LETTER FROM THE LYNG by BOB WOODS


Corruption has no place in our society and in our local government. There are allegations of malpractice at Sandwell Council and whether the Leader likes it or not these matters must be thoroughly investigated. It is not appropriate for Darren Cooper and his associates to simply attack those demanding proper scrutiny - especially not a Labour and trade union loyalist such as myself. I am a left loyalist but I’m not tribal, if its wrong I say so!  


It is alleged that there has been, at best, incompetence within the Council and, at worst, fraud. There are clear questions that need answering concerning nepotism, the interference by elected officers in the day to day running of the Council (and the related question of why highly-paid officials have permitted this) and possible corruption. The Skidder has shown time and again that the Council has shrouded its activities in secrecy and despite clear claims from Mr Cooper that this is to change, there is no evidence at all of this actually happening.

There is anecdotal evidence that a few members of staff are directly involved in malpractice. The vast majority of the rapidly diminishing workforce are, however, unsung heroes delivering services in difficult circumstances, but in Sandwell apparently having to also face bullying and intimidation from “above” (something that particularly concerns me as I regularly represent Work Stress at trade union conferences and meetings).*


I have to say that I never personally stood for election in any capacity for the benefit of myself, family or friends. My time as a Labour school governor in East London or as a Unison branch secretary for 10 years was for the good of the community and the workers I represented (including on the Unison Voluntary Sector National Committee). (I did stand for a council twice but failed although this was hardly surprising as this was in Tunbridge Wells - not exactly renowned as a Labour heartland!) There are people like me amongst the 70 Labour members of Sandwell Council and I hope they will come to the fore in the coming months - both to ensure good governance and to make sure that Labour also represents the large percentage of local inhabitants who did not vote Labour (and not least because I also want to see Ed Miliband sweep to victory next May).

With this spirit I “joined” (if that is the right word) an ad hoc group of people scrutinising the activities of Sandwell Council and including The Skidder. Unfortunately this has led to some unpleasantness. Of course, Councillor Cooper has wasted no time in branding me a “disgrace” to the Labour and Trade Union movement and even a “traitor” via twitter. That social media channel has also been used by a senior local trade union figure who appears to have close connections with Cooper to attack me and fellow “scrutineers”. Some very unpleasant “trolls” have also come and gone.


I have had a couple of unpleasant phone calls but, worse, about a month ago was actually confronted by two aggressive young men in a West Brom restaurant who stood in front of me and told me to “shut the f*ck up on twitter”. That incident was reported to the Police but I remain unbowed.

It has to be said in all fairness that if the alleged corruption etc was at a Tory Council the left and the unions would be attacking it all over the mainstream and social media. We cannot permit “double standards” to apply here.


One other matter concerns me is that if Ed is going to make it into No.10 he needs to win the key marginals and whilst the three Sandwell seats appear “safe” the situation is much closer next door in Halesowen (VERY close in a recent Ashcroft poll). To its credit the Halesowen News has bucked the trend of the local media and started to hold Sandwell Council’s leaders to account but I do not want local shenanigans to damage the party further afield. Clean out the stables Mr Cooper and let us go and win an election and take back Halesowen & Rowley Regis!

The public and, in particular, council employees can help in the cleansing process. Of course the latter are afraid (not without good reason) of victimisation but they should not let the activities of a few besmirch the reputation of the many. On the positive side, police outside the Borough are now running the investigation and they can now be contacted direct and in confidence.


Please continue to contact The Skidder with any concerns (even though I disagree with some of his anti-labour sentiments and occasionally florid style) and also the police. Everyone should remember the words of Edmund Burke (including trade unionists, labour members and local councillors):

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (or women) do nothing”.


Please note the confidential line to DS Wayne Haynes of the Police Regional Fraud Team 0121 251 2175.

* http://www.workstress.net/

THE SANDWELL SKIDDER - A COMMUNITY BLOG - READ THE SKIDDER, KIDDER!

E-mail:   thesandwellskidder@gmail.com           Twitter:   @bcrover (Vernon Grant)

Confidential phone no: 07599 983737

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.