Saturday 28 June 2014

Guest Post No. 1 - Robert "Bob" Woods

Council meetings are, generally, public affairs – EVEN in Sandwell! I should qualify this immediately by saying that large sections of such meetings are held in private for various reasons and the great unwashed are kicked out at the appropriate time. Of course, in Pyongyang/Sandwell all policy is agreed beforehand in private meetings by “The Labour Group” and simply rubber-stamped by “the sheep” at sundry council meetings which are over and done with in a matter of minutes (see Private Eye piece via my post “Skidder Shorts No. 7 Sandwell Council – Rotten Boroughs piece”).

You do not need to know anything about me – I’m just a silly old thing – but to those who do not already know him, may I introduce you Dear Reader to all-round “good egg”, Mr Bob Woods. (Incidentally, you should also follow his excellent – though “leftie” – Twitter account @brummytaff).

Bob is a gentleman of a certain age who has spent his life fighting for the rights of the underprivileged and against discrimination. He is avidly pro-union (he was presented with an award for his work from Gordon Brown no, er, less) and fiercely pro-Labour. He still represents the Workstress organisation at conferences around the country (see workstress.net and twitter @workstressuk). But Bob has a brain of his own and, it is fair to say, has become disgusted at the way Labour in Sandwell conducts its affairs. This apostasy apparently makes him fair game for attack from the Kremlin “High Command”. Here is his account of events in April when the two of us had the temerity to attend the public part of a Sandwell Council "Cabinet" [sic] meeting. Now read on:

GUEST POST NO. 1 - ROBERT "BOB" WOODS

After that illustrious introduction, and blushing furiously, here is what happened on 9th April, 2014 when Jules and I decided to exercise our democratic prerogative and attend a "cabinet" meeting of Sandwell Council.

When we arrived at The Kremlin in Oldbury the helpful gent at the reception desk was so surprised that anyone would be attending a cabinet meeting that he questioned whether we actually meant the planning committee but he kindly ushered us through. Of course, we were the only two members of the public present. The public part of the meeting managed to deal with 7 agenda items in just under 20 minutes and we were then asked to leave so that the cabinet could deal with "private" ie "secret" matters. Off we went for beer and badinage.

I was anxious to send a tweet describing my experience of open democracy in action but noted that certain members of the Labour hierarchy had blocked me including Councillors Cooper, Moore (Who he? Ed) and Sanders together with Tom Watson MP. As a person "of the left", an active trade-unionist and a Labour Party Member (though not just a blind "keeper of the true faith") for some 35 years I tweeted my surprise at this.

Cllr Darren Cooper passed my tweet on and got this response from Cllr Sandars who apparently thought it newsworthy enough to continue copying in Cllr Moore and MP Watson:

"I hear you had some guests at 3 today. Sorry I missed it".

This in turn led to the following tweets all within MY original twitter stream and continuing to copy in Moore and Watson:

Cooper: " You didn't miss much Paul. It was like little and large or 2 grumpy old men lol"

Sandars: " But Little and Large would be funnier?"

Cooper: "Yeah lol Could have been Dumb and Dumber as well".

Cooper then directly insulted me: "Your [sic] just a nasty piece of work like your mate Jules Bob" before replying again to Sandars: "Nasty pieces of work both of them".

Jules has come to expect this sort of stuff from Darren Cooper having dared to investigate the goings-on at Sandwell Council but I was aggrieved to be insulted in this manner (especially being a Labour Party member of long-standing). Accordingly I made an official complaint which was dealt with by SMBC's Head of Legal and Governance, Neeraj Sharma. Needless to say the complaint was rejected in the following disappointing terms:

1. Darren Cooper uses the twitter account @sandwellleader (linked to his Council website/blog) in a purely personal capacity. This is, of course, the old argument that is trotted out whenever he is challenged. Here, his remarks were only possible because he was present at the meeting on official Council business. It is ridiculous to say that his twitter feed is purely personal - perhaps he should drop the word "Councillor" from the title and change the name then I might start to believe it!

2. I was not, according to Ms Sharma, identified  in the tweets and am simply making an "assumption" that the references were to me. This is clearly incorrect as the insults were made in MY twitter stream and I am specifically named ie "Your [sic] just a nasty piece of work BOB like yr mate JULES"! This is patently a personal insult directed at me!


3. Darren Cooper's other derogatory reference were simply "references to comedy" and would only be seen as inappropriate by someone who was "particularly sensitive". Well I have have been used to the rough and tumble of trade union politics for over 30 years (including a ten-year stint as a Unison Branch Secretary) and do not see myself as being overly "sensitive". Being openly abused in a public forum by an elected Councillor (indeed, Leader of the Council) is, however, new territory for me. I should add that in my trade union activities I am familiar with the "comedy defence" being used to excuse a multitude of sins but thought such an approach was a thing of the past. Clearly not!

4. As I use twitter I must expect "some challenge back". This twitter stream started with me - a loyal Party member - asking why certain Labour people had blocked me - I do not see why that should mean that I am open to abuse and attack! Incidentally, having been blocked by those named-above they have tried to ensure that THEY cannot be "challenged back"! The fact is that the abuse arose solely because I attended the public Council meeting.

5. The tweets were not, according to Ms Sharma, bullying, a breach of equality rules nor intimidating. They did not show a lack of respect or courtesy to me nor bring the office of leader of the Council into disrepute. Well judge for yourselves. I believe the tweets were obviously directed at me and were an attempt to ridicule me so that I stayed away from further public meetings.

Like the other recent formal complaint about Councillor Cooper and his tweets, this matter was once again dealt with by highly-paid employee Ms Sharma and so at least I can be assured of her complete independence! The real issue here is that if you put your head above the parapet and choose to comment of the doings of Sandwell Council, or attend meetings, you may well be attacked in very personal terms by the Leader of the Council and there is very little point in making an official complaint about it.

Cllr Cooper attacks those of twitter who attempt to scrutinise his exploits and accuses them of "doing Sandwell down". Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am "left" and loyal and it takes an awful lot to make me even think about not supporting the party I have been a member of for decades...... After the elections in May Labour has 70 of the 72 seats on Sandwell Council and Councillor Cooper quotes this as his mandate to do what he will. It is effectively a one-party state and so there is a responsibility upon them to be open and accountable. They should welcome scrutiny instead of trying to keep matters secret and doing all they can to stifle dissent.

 But one thing is certain - power can corrupt and absolute power can corrupt absolutely. Now that is something that should give everyone pause for thought.

THE SANDWELL SKIDDER - A COMMUNITY BLOG

e thesandwellskidder@gmail.com         t @bcrover (Vernon Grant)

Confidential phone no: 07599 983737


INVITATION TO “GUEST” BLOG

I am looking for interesting people of an independent frame of mind to supply a guest blog post to “The Skidder”.

The “rules” are pretty simple:

1. ANY subject/theme but with some sort of relevance to Sandwell (so politicians need not necessarily write about politics unless they want to!). Not just about you unless a story has a wider resonance. Obviously nothing illegal, libellous or too rude;

2. You MUST supply an e-mail which can (and will) be publicly-published with the blog (so that folk can contact you direct with any complaints etc rather than me). If you cannot do that, I am afraid that is, literally, end of story. You can always set up a new account so that your main account remains private;

3. I will take a “light” editorial view and make suggestions if applicable. I do not intend to interfere if I disagree with your views but only to make suggestions, correct possible errors etc. I will not publish any amendments unless they have been specifically agreed with you first.  Thus if we cannot agree, that is the end of it and the piece will not be published. As, ultimately, I am responsible for the blog I am afraid I have to reserve the right to reject any piece submitted.

The piece should be fairly short and definitely not longer than would fit on one ordinary page (unless you have something VERY special to say).

A one or two line “autobiography” will be helpful (as long as it is true!)

The blog must be your own work (so that rules out one prominent local figure!)

“Vernon Grant”.

E-mail: thesandwellskidder@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.